Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: N. Seosamh, Cill Lasrach
- XML Page 172
- XML “An Cailleach Béarach”
- XML “Cailleach Béarach as a Mower”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- An Cailleach BéarachAn cailleach béarach according to tradition was supposed to be a witch who is believed to have erected most of the round towers and castles in this country.Tradition tells us that she built each of those buildings with three pocketfulls of stones. As well as being a famous builder, she is believed to have been a great mower. At the time of her death, it is said, she was 121 years and one day.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Cailleach Béarach as a MowerThe Cailleach béarach started one day mowing with a score of men. The men led off & she took up the rear. After an hour's work, she Caught up to the man who was last and mowed off his legs from above the ankles.She Continued the work until she Caught up to the man who was Second last & she cut off his legs also. This procedure Continued until all the men but one had their legs cut off. At this stage, they went to their dinner.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Joseph P. Caron