Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Eanach Mór
- XML Page 106
- XML “Boy Escapes from Giant”
- XML “My Son and your Son”
- XML “The Boys and the Ghost”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- One time there was a giant and he used to be going around gathering small boys and girls and eating them. One time he was coming home and he had one boy in the bag on his back. When he was near home he met another boy and he left down the bag on the ditch and followed the boy. When he was after him the boy in the bag got the better of coming out and he filled the bag with stones. The giant did not catch the boy he was following and when he came back he put the bag on his back again full sure he had the boy. As he was going he used to say now and again " gasúirín tá tú an-trom" When he went home he had a big pot on the fire to boil the boy as he thought. He took the bag and opened it and held it over the pot. The stones that fell into the pot instead of the boy and they broke the pot and quenched the fire. He never went out after young people again.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- One time there was a widow and she had a son. There was a widower in the same place too and he had a son. One day the two of them got married and after two years there was a son born to them. One day when the three sons were bit they were out playing in the garden. The woman looked out in the window and she seen them. She said to her husband "My son and your son are beating our son".Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Mártain Ó Braonáin
- It was a great habit with the people not so long ago to go out with light at night catching and killing blackbirds. One(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.