School: Behey (roll number 8222)

Behy, Co. Donegal
Meadhbh, Bean Uí Dhochartaigh
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1029, Page 76

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1029, Page 76

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Behey
  2. XML Page 76
  3. XML “Old Graveyards”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. There are several graveyards in this parish but only two are in use.
    There are the remains of an old graveyard on the farm of Welliam Armstrong of Parkhill about a mile and a half from Ballyshannon on the Donegal Road. Here also are stones to be seen that once formed part of a monastery.
    The Abbey graveyard is close to Ballyshannon and the Cashelard graveyard is where the people of Behey and Cashelard bury. The present church is not more than thirty five years built. It replaced an old church that was much too small for the congregation. The burial place was still there. There are several very old tombs, monuments and crosses. There is one disused graveyard in the parish at Parkhill where the monastery stood but no trace of grave or monument is to be seen. The Armstrongs have ploughed over the field.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. objects
      1. man-made structures
        1. historical and commemorative structures (~6,794)
          1. graveyards (~2,501)