School: Behey (roll number 8222)

Behy, Co. Donegal
Meadhbh, Bean Uí Dhochartaigh
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1029, Page 86

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1029, Page 86

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Behey
  2. XML Page 86
  3. XML “The Local Patron Saint”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. St. Barron is the Patron St. of this parish of Kilbarron. The parish took it’s name from the first Church built by St. Barron and incidentally the name Barron is the most common to be found in the Parish..
    The church of Kilbarron founded by St. Barron still remains to be seen but only the walls now stand. It is situated in the townland of Creevy a few miles north east of Ballyshannon and about half a mile from the ruins of the castle of the O’Clerys in the town land of Cloughbally overlooking the Atlantic. This church was very small. It was in disuse for many centuries. The Abbey Church founded by the Cistercian Monks who lived in the Abbey Monastery outside Ballyshannon was later. It, too is in ruins only a few stones standing n the middle of the present Abbey graveyard.
    The legend told by the local people re the Parish of Kilbarron is as follows:
    St. Barron went one day to the native Chieftain and requested some land on which to found a monastery. The Chieftain replied
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. events
      1. events (by time of year) (~11,476)