Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- On the 13th December 1853 Allen Pollock and his wife Mary Pollock purchased from the Burkes of Glinsk the property known as the Glinsk estate. This included all the land from Ballymoe to the top of Mount Mary and from Aughagad to Ballyhard.
The property was not long in the hands of (Pollocks) the Pollocks until wholesale evictions began. The people were still suffering from the after effects of the famine. They were poor and disorganized and were powerless to resist the activities of the crowbar brigade engaged by the landlord. In turning the country-side into a cattle ranch whole villages were wiped out in the course of a day. Children who left their homes for school in the morning sometimes found their houses levelled to the ground on their return, and the floor being ploughed up in preparation for grass seeds.
Amongst the villages wiped out in this locality were Cuilnacappy, Park, Moneenrue(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.