Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)sorrow for all their companions who were slain and two of joy for Oscar's victory. When the Fianna came back they found Niam dead. Then the Fianna christened that name in the hill Cnoc an Air which means "the hill of slaughter". The top of the hill is called Leac it is supposed that those who were killed in the battle were buried there.Patrick Mulvihill
July 20th 1938
Information from school instructionTranscribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Carrigafoyle castle was built about the year 1300 and it was destroyed about the year 1580. It was one of O'Connor Kerry Castles. It was surrounded on three sides by the water of the river shannon. It was about one hundred feet high and there is a spiral staircase leading up to the top of it and there are one hundred and four steps in the stairs. There was a strong outer wall for protection. The walls were made of flagstone with limestone corners. There was a barbacan fifteen feet high. It was taken by Sir Wm Pelham who was acting for Carew. When the siege took place Pelham was joined by the Earl of Ormond and they had ships on the shannon. Carew was acting in Munster(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.