School: Tulach Sheasta, Clochair na Trócaire

Location:
Newport, Co. Tipperary
Teacher:
Sr Bertrand
Browse
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0539, Page 273

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0539, Page 273

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.

Download

Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Tulach Sheasta, Clochair na Trócaire
  2. XML Page 273
  3. XML “The Old Mass Houses”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. (continued from previous page)
    were two of these - one at Toor and the other in Foildarrig near the "Four Roads". The Church at Foildarrig was called Kilpatrick or "Patrick's Church" possiby because it was dedicated to St. Patrick. It stood in Michael Bourke's field near the old fort. It was 30 ft long, 17ft wide and 10 feet high. The walls were of stone and mortar and were 3ft 3ins thick. This was the Church built by the Catholics to replace the one seized by the Protestants at Kilnerath. It was a substantial building and must have served its purpose for almost 200 years. Fragments of the walls were standing in 1840 when O'Donovan visited it but the cemetery which was beside it effaced and the land tilled up to the very walls of the Church. It is said that Albert Lee of Barna House took the stones of the old building soon after O'Donovan's visit to build some houses in his farmyard where they stand to day. Not a trace remains now of this Church of Kilpatrick, even the exact spot on which it stood cannot be pointed out with certainty.
    + Mile north west of the village of Newport
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Language
    English
    Informant
    Rev. Patrick J. Lee
    Gender
    Male