School: Shelbaggan Convent

Location:
Shelbaggan, Co. Wexford
Teacher:
An tSr M. Breandán
Browse
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0874, Page 001

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0874, Page 001

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.

Download

Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Shelbaggan Convent
  2. XML Page 001
  3. XML “Dunbrody Abbey”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. (continued from previous page)
    One of the finest specimens of early English architecture in Ireland is Dunbrdody Abbey, Co Wexford, which stands on a slight eminence overlooking the estuary of Waterford Harbour, near the junction of the rivers Nore and Barrow with the Suir. It is truly a venerable pile of ecclesiastical ruins, lovely in its desolation, still exhibiting that strength and stern grandeur which characterises most of the monastic buildings erected by the early English invaders. It was founded in A.D. 1182 by Hervey de Montmorisco, uncle of Strongbow. Hervey had acquired vast possessions in land in County Wexford and he bestowed large tracts of this land on the Cistercian Abbey of Buildwas in Shropshire for the purpose of founding a Cistercian Abbey at Dunbrody. The Charter for the founding of the Abbey is still preserved in the Bodleian Library, and was witnessed by Felix O'Dullany, Bishop of Ossory. The property with which Hervey endowed Dunbrody extended from Bannow to Kempul, now Campile with fishing weirs,
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Language
    English
    Location
    Dunbrody, Co. Wexford