Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- The present Behey Nat. School was built in 1862. It replaced an old Hedge School that had served for years. The remains of it can be seen still on the hill close to the present one. It consisted of one small apartment very low and with scarcely any light, a clay floor and a fire on the hearth. The teacher was a local man named McCool. whose relations are still resident in the district. The first report made by the Board’s Inspector in the present school is still extant. He was a (-) Among other items of interest he observed that the pupils had a nasty habit of “Spelling on the floor” and advised the teacher to have this habit abolished. Another practice that required to be corrected was that of allowing several of the pupils to leave the room at the same time and without as much as saying “by your leave” to the teacher. He found fault too, that there was "No ink in the school” and as a result he had to make his report in pencil. Another fault and one that remains to the present day, was the difficulty of getting the scholars to speak out distinctly and audibly. Those were the pupils who had been attending the old Hedge School and had just come in to the new National School. The only person living who attended the Hedge School, at the time we(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.