School: Clochar na Trocaire

Tuam, Co. Galway
an tSiúr M. Oilibhéir
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0027, Page 0178

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0027, Page 0178

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Clochar na Trocaire
  2. XML Page 0178
  3. XML “An Old Lisheen”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. In the Townland of Knock and the parish of Killererin. There is an old Lisheen just oneside of the place where the English Army billeted on October 1798.
    At that time Shops were few
    There was one little shop in a village called Peak right beside the Bianconi road.
    At that time houses were few and far between.
    There was one house in the village of Knock which Micheal Healy lived at that time.
    When he wanted clothing he had no shop nearer than Galway to get them in.
    He had no means to get there but by foot and it was exactly thirty six Irish miles back and forth.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. time
      1. historical periods by name (~25)
        1. 1798 (~642)
    2. place-space-environment
      1. legendary and spiritual places (~158)
        1. fairy forts (~5,616)
    Kathleen Fahy
    Garraun Beg, Co. Galway