Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Long ago a ship went down beyond Slyne Head. Her name was the Catherine Jane. She went down about a distance of three miles after a while she turned towards the north again to Slyne Head. She had a crew of sailors, the captain, his wife, a child and a mate and no passengers.
When she was within half a mile of the land east of Slyne Head the crew abandoned her in a life boat. She was drifting with the wind until she was tossed and broke against the rocks.
The crew themselves were nearly drowned when a shallow rock broke on the boat and the water was put up to their knees in the boat.
She had a cargo of coal.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- In November 1852 there was a boat wrecked going into Slyne Head. There were six men lost including a lightkeeper. The crew consisted of Tom King, Mr O'Conner the light keeper, Martin Conroy, Edward King, Mark Welsh, Philip Stanton. The light-keepers on the island were watching the boat and when they were drowned they saw Mr O Conner come and go to his post. In the night Martin Conroys brother saw Martin come in to the room and get money for playing cards.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- John O' Neill
- Mr Quinn