School: An Daingean, Cuinche

An Daingean, Co. an Chláir
Stiofán Mac Clúin Treasa Ní Chonmara
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0596, Page 138

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0596, Page 138

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: An Daingean, Cuinche
  2. XML Page 138
  3. XML “A Cross”
  4. XML “A Story”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. 138
    22-V1-38. A Cross.
    Some 200 hundred years ago men were digging in Deerpark Hill ,Ballykilty ,Quin .They came on a stone cross,the arms of which were each six feet long.The stone was as clean and as smooth as glass with no sign of chisel mark on was removed to the Church Cross, Quin and erected there .It was around this cross the market used to be held.The people used to bring their butter ,eggs and fowl,Piqqins,flannels ,socks, brogues,and all home articles were sold there.The famous Clare scythes ,hooks and scythe stones were also for sale there.
    There is no trace of this cross now. Some say it was buried at the crossroad when the newline Road was made.Dan Corbett ,Ballykilty. Quin.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
  2. A Story.
    28- V1 -'38. At the time they were making the railway between Ennis and Limerick in about the year 1854 ,an engineer came along one day and ordered the men to remove a projecting stone.As they did so a lot of little
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Matty Hannon
    Cnapóg, Co. an Chláir