Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)sheriff of Galway A.D. 1699. From him descended Matthew Coneys of Ardbear, a near relative of the Editor, and an individual who, through a long life, bore the character of an upright magistrate and an honest man. He died at a venerable age in A.D. 1806. His eldest son resided at Slinehead.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- BelathnabayBÉAL ÁTHA NA BÁIDHE now called Ballinaboy. A monthly market held here from time immemorial, has been lately removed to the town of Clifden. The ruins of St Flannan's church, Cill Flannáinn, may be seen in the townland of Kill, which townland should properly be called Kilflannan, on the north of Ballindoon parish, and near it is a holy well dedicated to the saint.The Flannan Islands in the West of Scotland are said to be called after St Flannan. This church admits no burial - bodies are not interred within it, and it is firmly believed that should any person be so interred, the body would be found over ground the next day. The Owanglin river is that which flows under the bridge of Clifden.Inistuirk and Imay islands. There are other small islands here, the chief of which is called Tarbet, but the most remarkable of the group is Imay, called in Irish, lomaidh, or lomaidh Féichin(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.