Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Aill Bhreac
- XML Page 210
- XML “Inis Ark and Bofin Isles”
- XML “Pedigree of the Family of Geoghegan Afterwards O'Neill of Bunowen”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)Catrach the Island of the Cahir or Stone fort or Cathir na Naomh and sometimes Cathair Phadruig. Here is small ancient church in the primitive Irish style called by some Teampull na naom and by others Templepatrick.
Near its east gable on the outside is a flag inscribed with a cross and called Leaba Phadruig or the bed of Patrick. On the altar within the church is laid a remarkable slab called Teac na Naomh about two feet in diameter and composed of different kinds of stones which is said to be of great virtues. Boats passing this island lower the main-sail thrice out of reverence to the saints whose memories are here celebrated.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Edward Groghegan the patentee of Bunowen married about 1642 Margaret daughter of James Dillon of Ballymoloy in Westmeath. The date of his death has not been recorded. He was succeeded by his son. Charles Geoghegan of Bunowen who married about 1690 Mary daughter of Walter Blake of Drum Co Galway by his wife Christian daughter of Sir Richard Blake of Ardfry. In the ruined chapel of Ballindoon in the demense of Bunowen there still remains a tombstone slab with this inscription(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.