Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Eanach Mór
- XML Page 103
- XML “Boy and Teacher”
- XML “One for me, One for you”
- XML “The Boy and the Three Bean Seeds”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)the Shannon) and the master on the spree"Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- "One for me, one for you".
One time two boys went out gathering nuts. One of the boys went up on a tree & kept throwing them down to the other boy. At last they had a big bag full & they did not know how to divide the nuts, so that each of them would have the same number to carry. They went into a graveyard that was on the side of the road & as they were going in they lost two nuts. They started taking out two nuts at a time & giving one to each of them. They used to be saying "one for me, one for you". There was a woman coming home from the town & she heard them & she and did not know what it was. She called a man who was working in a field & they were listening a good while. At last they said it was God and the devil was dividing the souls between them. The boys had finished & they said "there is one for me & one for you outside". The man & woman thought it was themselves & they ran away as tight as they could.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Mártain Ó Braonáin
- One time there lived a widow & her son & they were very rich. One night when the son was very young & the widow used to be alone, a big bully of a giant came in & asked her where was her money. She had it in a box under a bed in the room but she did not tell him at first. At last she got afraid & told him. He went up to the room & brought all the money with him. The woman had nothing left but a cow & she used to support herself & her son by selling the milk of the cow.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.