Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Eanach Mór
- XML Page 63
- XML “Hare Turns into a Cat”
- XML “The Man, the Jar and the Hare”
- XML “Pisreog”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Long ago there was a man and one day he went out shooting and he killed a hare. So he came along with the girrfiadh and the next morning he put the hare in a bag and went to the town to sell him. When he went into a shop and looked in the bag he found a cat instead of a hare. Then he had to come home. When he got home he looked in the bag and he found the hare. He continued that for some days and he threw him to the village dogs hoping they would get poisoned .
When he threw him to the dogs in the shape of a cat, what did the cat do but change himself into a hare and make off from the dogs.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Mártain Ó Braonáin
- One time a man was coming home after selling his whiskey and had a beautiful jar with him. When he was stepping across a drain a hare jumped up from under his feet. And the minute he saw the hare he fell and broke the beautiful jar. When he went home he died with sorrow for his little jar, which shows the hare changed him into a fairy when he fell and broke the jar.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- It is not lucky a hare to run across before you when you are going on a journey. It is not bad if he would ran out straight before you.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.