Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Eanach Mór
- XML Page 68
- XML “The Dog - Dog Rears Child (1)”
- XML “The Dog - Beliefs”
- XML “The Dog - Dog Saves Woman from Bull”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- One time the parents of a young child died and he was left alone in the house. It happened that there was a dog in the house and she had pups. The child started to be reared on the dog and he came to have the nature of a dog. He knew every sign the dog made and what it stood for. One evening he was walking with a priest and they heard the dogs crying. The priest asked him what it mean and he said it was how he was to be killed. The priest went home troubled and he told his servant if any knock came, to say he wasn't at home. The knock came and the servant said he wasn't home, but the people contradicted her. Some days later the priest was out walking and he was attacked and killed.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Mártain Ó Braonáin
- 1. To hear a dog crying is a sign of a death.
2. If there is a dog crying one side of the river a person will die the other side.
3. A slut is thought to be bad (evil) to have with you late at night. If you me a ghost the slut should help the ghost against you.
4.It is not lucky a sow or a dog to attack sheep. They take the luck of then away.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- An old woman was once crossing a field in Ballybrooney where there was a cross bull. She had a dog with her. The bull attacked her and(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.