Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- One day a rat was very hungry and he could not get any food. At last he came upon a jar in which there was honey. The jar was too narrow and he could not drink out of it. At last he thought of a plant of putting down his tail into the jar and getting some of the honey. He put down this tail into the jar and pulled it up again. As you know there was honey on his tail. He put his tail into his mouth and sucked it off. In that was he got plenty to eat and he was not hungry anymore.
Belief 1 they say there is poison in a rats head
2. the rats can be sent from one place to another. a piece of paper on which there is writing is left for the rat. If they are sent to a place where there is no food they will come back again.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- They say it is not right1. to throw out water at night without saying to the fairies."Chugat, chugat an t uisce salach" (nó an t uisce te)2. to let milk out without anyone after a cow calves before making the first churning.
3. to sleep twice on Whit Sunday.
4. to cut hair or nails in lent
5. to let out milk without either a grain of salt or a sup of water through it.
6. to gather spilt milk because there was some mouth opened for it(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Mártain Ó Braonáin