Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)nearly wore out and the cat was lying in the ashes. The man got up and cursed the cat and went to bed again and the cat walked down the floor and lied in the ashes again. The man got up three times and cursed the cat. The third time the cat told him that if he would buy a pair of shoes for him that he would make a rich man of him and the man only laughed, but a while after he bought the shoes. The cat put them on and went away to a big house and told the man that his master was out bathing and his cloths was stole. The man gave him some clothes and he brought them to his master. The cat went away again visiting two giants. He asked the giant which was the smallest thing he could turn himself into and the giant said 'a rat'. The cat asked him could he turn himself into anything smaller and he turned himself into a mouse. The cat sprang at the mouse and killed him and he had the giants castle and his riches for his master who went with the cat to live in it.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- 1. It is not lucky to drown a cat
2. If the cat sits with his back to the fire it is a sign of bad weather
3. If the cat tears at a thing such as the twig (bush) or the post of the bed with its claws it is a sign of rain
4. People hate to hear cats crying outside the house at night. They are associated with devils. If there is a person dying in the house and the cats are heard fighting and crying outside, it is though that they are(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Mártain Ó Braonáin